Subdivisions: permits and processes

Introduction and process

Changes to planning laws

On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).

The information below is currently under review.

For more up to date information, contact a planner.

This section has information for people who want to subdivide their land in rural or unzoned areas, or urban areas in the Northern Territory (NT).

For pastoral landholders, read about the different process for subdividing your pastoral land.

The subdivision process

The subdivision process is summarised below and explained in more detail on the following pages of this section.

Step 1. Get development consent

You must have a development permit to subdivide or consolidate land in the NT.

Read how to get development consent to subdivide in rural or unzoned areas.

Read how to get development consent to subdivide in urban areas.

Read about the general process for development applications at the Development One Stop Shop.

Before applying for a permit, you can meet with a government planner for free advice.

Once you have submitted your development application, you may have to meet advertising requirements to notify people of your application.

If your subdivision will create a new street number or road, read about property and street addresses, including how new addresses are created.

Addresses should be allocated as early as possible and will be assigned based on the location of the entry point to the address.

Step 2. Find a surveyor

If you haven’t already employed a licensed surveyor to help with your development application, you must employ one to help submit your survey to Survey and Land Records.

Read how to find a licensed surveyor.

Step 3. Apply for survey reference and lot numbers

Once your development permit has been granted, your surveyor will submit a request to Survey and Land Records for your survey reference number and lot numbers based on your development permit. This process is called data allocation.

Read about getting approval for your survey.

Step 4. Carry out subdivision work

Once you have development approval and data allocation, you can start work on your subdivision.

Step 5. Get clearances for your subdivision

At the completion of work, you will need to get a clearance issued from the Development Consent Authority to show you have met the conditions of your development permit.

Read about completion of work.

Step 6. Lodge your survey for approval

When you have your clearances, your surveyor can submit the survey for approval.

Once your survey is approved, your surveyor will usually also submit it to the Land Title Office for you. The office will issue new titles for your subdivision.

Read about lodging your survey.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 29 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.