Apply for an extension of abandonment period

Changes to planning laws

On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT). Read about these changes.

The NT Planning Scheme 2020 also came into force on 31 July 2020. It replaces the 2007 scheme. Read the current planning scheme.

A use is considered abandoned if it is discontinued for 12 months or longer.

You can apply for an extension to the abandonment period if:

  • you have a building or use that was lawful under previous planning rules but
  • it has been discontinued for less than 12 months.

Before you apply

When making an application, you should decide if you need an extension under:

  • section 59A - permitted use
  • section 37 - existing use.

If you are not sure whether you are eligible for an extension, contact a planner from Development Assessment Services.

Supporting information

You will need:

  • owner's authorisation if you are not the property owner
  • development permit number if applicable
  • details and reasons for the extension
  • evidence of the existing use (for an application under section 37).

How to apply

Apply for an extension through the Development Applications Online website.


You will need to pay 50% of the development application fee.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Decision maker

For section 59A:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

For section 37 - Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics.

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 31 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.