Planning application advertising requirements

If you have a planning application, you need to know if any advertising requirements apply.

Development applications

If you have a development application, you may need to advertise and pay a fee.

You will also need to notify the relevant government authority and other parties.

The table below lists the different notification types, and advertising requirements and fees.

ActionLocal government and service authority notificationNeighbour notificationStandard notificationDesignated development notification*
Advertising feeNoNoYes - check advertising feesYes - check advertising fees
Exhibition period14 days14 days14 days28 days
Circulation to local government and service authoritiesYesYesYesYes
Inclusion on Planning Notices OnlineNoNoYesYes
Letter to adjacent property ownersNoYes - only to an affected property No No
Sign on the landNoNoYes**Yes**

*Check the Planning Regulations 2000 for a list of developments requiring a 28-day minimum advertising period.

**Actions that are the responsibility of the applicant.

Other application types

If you have a rezoning request, concurrent application or application for an exceptional development permit, the minister may decide to advertise your application.

If this happens, you will need to pay an advertising fee. These applications have a minimum 28 day advertising period and will be included on Development Applications Online.

The relevant local government authority and other parties will also need to be notified.

Signage requirements

Two types of signs are used for public exhibition, custom signs and stock signs.

Read more about signage requirements for planning applications.

Last updated: 24 February 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!