Prepare a land suitability assessment

You must provide a land suitability assessment if you want to subdivide in any of the following zones:

  • RR (Rural Residential)
  • RL (Rural Living)
  • R (Rural)
  • H (Horticulture)
  • unzoned land.

Assessment types

Depending on the characteristics of your proposal, you must provide a:

To find out what type of assessment you should use, contact Rangelands Management.

Land suitability categories

Your land suitability assessment must address the seven categories in the NT land suitability guidelines PDF (1.1 MB).

Read the guidelines for more information and to confirm the suitability class of your land.

The categories are:

  • drainage
  • on-site wastewater management
  • erosion risk
  • soil salinity
  • acid sulfate soils
  • storm tide flooding
  • riverine flooding.

If your subdivision is:

  • in the Top End, in the area north of Tennant Creek - you don’t need to address soil salinity
  • in the Darwin region or outside coastal areas -  you may not need to address acid sulfate soils
  • a significant distance away from a tidal area and well above sea level - you don’t need to address storm tide flooding.

Last updated: 08 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!