Apply for an alteration permit

Changes to planning laws

On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT). Read about these changes.

The NT Planning Scheme 2020 also came into force on 31 July 2020. It replaces the 2007 scheme. Read the current planning scheme.

You can apply for an alteration permit if you want to make minor changes to a building or use that was previously permitted but is now prohibited.

The changes must not:

  • alter the existing building or use by more than 5%
  • increase the number of dwellings
  • affect the amenity of the area.

If the changes are beyond this scope, you must apply for an exceptional development permit.

If you are not sure whether your need an alteration permit, contact a planner from Development Assessment Services.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you will need:

  • owner's authorisation if you are not the owner of the property
  • evidence that the use or building exists
  • dimensioned plans that show the proposed alteration.

How to apply

Apply for an alteration permit through the Development Applications Online website.


You will need to pay a $181 application fee.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Decision maker

The decision maker is:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 31 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.