Apply for a variation of conditions: development permit

You can apply for a variation of conditions if you want to make minor changes to the conditions of your development permit. This includes changes to your endorsed plans.

A variation to a development permit must not:

  • alter a measurable aspect of the development by more than 5%
  • affect the amenity of adjoining or nearby land
  • allow an increase in the number of dwellings.

If the changes are beyond this scope, you must apply for a new development permit.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you will need:

  • the development permit number - beginning with 'DP'
  • owner’s authorisation if you are not the property owner
  • details and reasons for the variation
  • dimensioned plans that show the proposed variation - as applicable.

If you don't understand the requirements or need help identifying which condition you are varying, you can contact a planner.

How to apply

To apply, follow the steps below:

Step 1. Submit your application

Submit a variation of conditions of a development permit through the DAO website.

Step 2. Pay the fee

You must pay an application fee.

You can either pay:

All fees are non-refundable, even if your application is unsuccessful.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Processing time

It can take between two to four weeks - where you have provided sufficient evidence to support your application.

Decision maker

The decision maker is:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 19 April 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!