Apply for a certificate of existing use

You can apply for a certificate of existing use if you need written confirmation that a use, building or works on your land was lawful.

You may need to establish an existing use right if:

  • the use, building or works would be prohibited under the current planning rules but was
  • permitted without a development permit before a change to the planning scheme.

A planning certificate is considered proof of fact at the time of issue.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you will need:

  • your contact details and other beneficiary details
  • owner's authorisation if you are not the sole property owner
  • evidence that the:
    • current use of the land is an existing use or
    • building or work is an existing building or existing work.

How to apply

Apply for a certificate of use through the Development Applications Online website.


You will need to pay a $326 application fee.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Decision maker

The decision maker is:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 13 November 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.