Subdivide or consolidate land

You must follow a certain process to subdivide or consolidate your land in the Northern Territory (NT).

What subdivision and consolidation mean

Subdivision is when you want to:

  • divide a block of land into two or more parcels
  • create unit titles from an existing parcel
  • have a lease of more than 12 years over part of a parcel.

Consolidation is when you want to join 2 or more parcels of land to form a single parcel.

What you should consider

There are things you should consider before subdividing or consolidating land:

How to apply

To subdivide or consolidate your land, you need all of the following:

  • planning approval through a development permit and certificate of compliance
  • survey approval through data allocation and from the surveyor-general
  • concurrence from the Land Titles Office (LTO) to issue new land titles.

To apply for subdivision or consolidation, follow these steps:

Step 1. Apply for a development permit

You must have a development permit to subdivide or consolidate land in the NT unless it is exempt.

For example, subdivision may be exempt if it:

  • involves forestry or
  • is located in a remote community.

For more information, read the:

If you want to subdivide in rural and unzoned land

You must provide a land suitability assessment with your development permit application in the following zones:

  • RR (Rural Residential)
  • RL (Rural Living)
  • R (Rural)
  • H (Horticulture)
  • Unzoned land.

Find out how to prepare a land suitability assessment.

Step 2. Apply for a survey reference and lot numbers

Once you have a development permit, you must get a survey reference number and new lot numbers. You will also need to have new addresses issued.

This process is called data allocation.

You must engage a licensed surveyor to apply for this on your behalf.

You can find a licensed surveyor in your local business directory.

Check your surveyor’s registration details by looking at the register on the Surveyors Board of the NT website.

Licensed surveyors can submit a data allocation request and supporting data through the Survey Approvals Online website.

Create a new address or alter existing roads

If you are creating a new road or extending an existing road, you should apply to the Place Names Committee to start the road-naming process.

If your subdivision will create a new street number, you should contact the Survey Branch.

Read about creating new property and street addresses.

Step 3. Complete your subdivision works

Complete all the works associated with your subdivision, such as:

  • constructing new accesses
  • extending power, water and sewer.

Your works must meet the conditions of the development permit.

Step 4. Get a certificate of compliance

Once you have completed your work, you must get a certificate of compliance to show you have met the conditions of your development permit.

A certificate of compliance for subdivision is also known as a part 5 clearance.

Step 5. Get concurrence from the Land Titles Office

You must get concurrence from the LTO before the survey plan and supporting documents can be lodged.

The LTO needs consent from the holders of other registered interests to subdivide the land.

This can include consent from mortgage, easement and current lease holders.

The LTO can only provide limited advice on completing your LTO forms.

You may need to get independent professional advice to help you meet your concurrence requirements.

There is a different process depending on whether you are making a subdivision under the:

For subdivisions under the Land Title Act

To get concurrence for these subdivisions, you must provide the LTO with a copy of your survey plan.

It must be signed by a licensed surveyor.

If you provide copies of consents from holders of registered interests, the LTO will check them to make sure they are prepared properly.

Once all requirements have been met, the office will notify you and Survey and Land Records.

For subdivisions under the Unit Title Schemes Act

To get concurrence for these subdivisions, you must provide the office with the following original documents:

  • your signed first scheme statement application
  • your survey plan signed by a licensed surveyor
  • consent forms for any mortgages or caveats.

Once the LTO approves your application, they will notify the planning consent authority and Survey and Land Records.

You must collect a letter from the LTO, then provide it along with your first scheme statement and any other documents to Development Assessment Services (DAS).

DAS will then forward it to the relevant consent authority for endorsement.

Step 6. Get approval from the surveyor-general

Once you have completed all your subdivision work and have all required clearances, your licensed surveyor can lodge your survey plan and supporting documents for approval.

You must pay the relevant survey lodgement fee. Get the list of fees and read more about land surveys.

Survey and Land Records will assess the survey plan and supporting documents.

If more information is needed, your application will be stopped and your surveyor will be contacted.

Survey and Land Records will ensure your development complies with the following:

If your submission meets all the requirements, it will be recommended to the surveyor-general for approval.

Step 7. Apply for title

Once your survey plan has been approved, the LTO will be notified.

To apply for title, you must pay the fee and submit all of the following documents to the LTO:

  • your approved survey plan
  • original consent forms
  • one of the following forms, completed and signed:
    • form 21 – application of separate titles for subdivisions of land – signed by all landowners
    • form 113 – scheme statement for subdivisions related to units – endorsed by the planning consent authority.

You can find these forms on the LTO forms and fees page.

Your forms must be submitted as originals, printed double-sided and signed in front of a qualified witness.

Titles can be issued within 24 business hours. You will be sent a registration statement after your application has been processed.

The LTO no longer automatically issues paper titles.

If you need a paper title, find out how to get a copy of your land title certificate.

Last updated: 21 November 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!