NT Planning Scheme 2020
The Northern Territory Planning Scheme (NTPS) 2020 is the 'rule book' for land use and development in the NT.
The scheme covers the whole of the NT, except for Jabiru, which has the Jabiru Town Plan.
If you are not familiar with the document, you can read information to help you understand the NT Planning Scheme.
Read the planning scheme
Get the individual scheme sections below:
- NTPS index
- NTPS part 1 - guidance
- NTPS part 2 - strategic framework
- NTPS part 3 - overlays
- NTPS part 4 - zones and assessment tables
- NTPS part 5 - development requirements
- read the referenced documents: guidelines
- NTPS part 6 - subdivision and consolidation requirements
- NTPS part 7 - Aboriginal communities and towns
Get the schedules below:
- NTPS schedule 1 - amendments to the NTPS 2020
- NTPS schedule 2 - definitions
- NTPS schedule 3 - exceptions
- NTPS schedule 4 - specific use zones
- NTPS schedule 5 - reference guidelines
- NTPS schedule 6 - Aboriginal community living areas
- NTPS schedule 7 - Aboriginal towns
Changes to the planning scheme
The minister for planning may make changes to the planning scheme from time to time.
This helps keep the rules up to date with the community’s changing needs.
Amendments may be any of the following:
- a change to diagrams, text or policies created by government
- a rezoning submitted as an amendment application by a person or the minister
- a combined amendment and development application, submitted as a concurrent application.
Find proposed amendments on planning notices on the Development Applications Online website.
Read about how to request an amendment.
Read list of amendments to the NTPS 2020.
Past planning scheme
Read the NTPS 2007.
Review of old specific use zones
- transitioned to a standard zone or
- reformatted to fit the new structure and incorporated with updated definitions.
- NT Planning Scheme 2007
- Planning Act 1999 as in force on 30 July 2020.
Old specific use zones are found in schedule 1 of the NT Planning Scheme 2007 .
Last updated: 25 August 2020
Share this page: