Development, subdivision and consolidation requirements

Development, subdivision and consolidation requirements are the standard planning ‘rules’.

Any use or building on your land must meet certain requirements, even it it doesn't need planning approval.

Read more about when you need planning approval.

How the requirements work

Each requirement explains:

  • its purpose
  • the minimum standards to comply
  • if a development can be approved when it doesn't meet the standard measures
  • when the consent authority may allow a variation.

When a requirement can be varied

The Development Consent Authority (DCA) may vary a rule or require a higher standard.

To find out more, read clause 1.10 - exercise of discretion by the consent authority in part 1 of the NT Planning Scheme PDF (409.8 KB).

What requirements apply

Find out what requirements apply for subdivision, consolidation and development.

Subdivision and consolidation

You can find subdivision and consolidation requirements in part 6 of the NT Planning Scheme PDF (495.9 KB).

These requirements are grouped based on the zone of the land, including unzoned land.

Read more about how to subdivide and consolidate land.


You can find development requirements in part 5 of the NT Planning Scheme PDF (1.1 MB).

To find out which development requirements apply, follow these steps:

Step 1. Find the zone of the land. Go to NT Atlas or contact a planner from Development Assessment Services.

If the land is not covered by a zone, check the rules for unzoned land.

Step 2. Go to the assessment table for the zone. You can find it in part 4 of the planning scheme PDF (1.2 MB).

Step 3. Check the definition of your proposed development. Defined uses are in schedule 2.1 of the planning scheme PDF (352.7 KB).

If it's not listed in the schedule, look for 'undefined uses' at the bottom of the assessment table.

Step 4. Look for the general and specific development requirements in the assessment table.

Other requirements

Extra requirements may apply as a result of an overlay or strategic plan.

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. To find out more, go to the Australian Government's Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications website.

If you are not familiar with the NT Planning Scheme, contact a planner at Development Assessment Services or speak to a private planning consultant.

Last updated: 11 October 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!