Subdividing your pastoral lease

You must get the approval of the minister to subdivide a pastoral lease for pastoral purposes. Read the law.

Applications are referred to the Pastoral Land Board for review and recommendation in accordance with the Pastoral Land Act.

If you want to subdivide a pastoral lease for non-pastoral use, such as horticulture or agriculture, contact the Pastoral Lease Administration.

How to apply

To seek approval to subdivide your land for pastoral purposes follow these steps.

Step 1. Read the guidelines for the subdivision of pastoral land for pastoral purposes (408.4 kb).

Step 2. Fill in the subdivide pastoral lease form (76.8 kb).

Step 3. Prepare the supporting documents. You can use the sample business plan or feasibility study (0 bytes) or cash flow (43.0 kb) to help with your documents.

Step 4. Pay the non-refundable application fee of 1323 revenue units. For more information about revenue units, go to the Department of Treasury and Finance website.

You can pay by cash, cheque, money order or credit card. Payments must be made to the Receiver of Territory Monies.

Step 5. Submit your written application and supporting documents online, by mail or email.

To submit online, go to the Pastoral Leases Public Portal.

The Director
Pastoral Lease Administration and Board
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
PO Box 496
Palmerston NT 0831


For more information contact Pastoral Lease Administration by calling (08) 8999 4754 or emailing

Last updated: 28 November 2017