Apply for a variation to a deemed permit

You can apply for a variation to a deemed permit if you want to:

  • make minor changes to a building or use that:
    • was previously permitted but
    • would now need a development permit.

A variation must not:

  • alter a measurable aspect of the development by more than 5%
  • affect the amenity of adjoining or nearby land
  • allow an increase in the number of dwellings.

If the changes are beyond this scope, you must apply for a development permit.

If you are not sure whether you need a variation to a deemed permit, contact a planner from Development Assessment Services.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you will need:

  • owner's authorisation if you are not the owner of the property
  • dimensioned plans that show the proposed variation
  • details and reasons for the variation.

How to apply

Apply for a variation to a deemed permit through the Development Applications Online website.


You will need to pay a $181 application fee.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Decision maker

The decision maker is:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 31 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.