Apply for a certificate of compliance

A certificate of compliance confirms that a completed development:

  • meets all the conditions of a permit
  • is in line with the endorsed plans.

You can apply for a certificate of compliance for any of the following:

  • development permit
  • subdivision permit
  • exceptional development permit.

Types of certificates of compliance

There are three types of certificates of compliance that you can apply for, depending on your development permit:

Before you apply

You will need the development permit number or exceptional development permit number.

You may also need written clearance from service authorities to confirm you have met the conditions of your development permit.

Your permit will state if you need clearance from service authorities.

You must provide this with your application.

How to apply

To apply, follow the steps below:

Step 1. Submit your application

Submit a certificate of compliance application through the DAO website.

Step 2. Pay the fee

You must pay an application fee.

You can either pay:

All fees are non-refundable, even if your application is unsuccessful.

After you apply

Read below to find out what happens after you submit your application.

Processing time

Once your application is received, a planner will usually arrange a visit to the site.

This is to confirm that the development matches the endorsed plans.

It can take about a week to receive the certificate if:

  • all supporting documents have been provided and
  • works have been carried out in line with endorsement plans.

Decision maker

The decision maker is:

  • Development Consent Authority (within DCA areas) or
  • the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (outside of DCA areas).

Administrating branch

The administrating branch is Development Assessment Services.

Contact a planner.

Last updated: 19 April 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!