Subdivisions: permits and processes

Subdividing in urban areas

This page has information about applying for development consent to subdivide a property in an urban area.

A development application is required to subdivide land.

To make a development application, you must by law provide a statement describing the effect of the proposed subdivision.

Your statement should be detailed and address, but need not be limited to, matters raised in section 46 of the Planning Act.

These requirements are listed in the application guide on the Development Applications Online website

How to apply

You must apply for a development permit from the Development Consent Authority. 

Read more about how to apply for a development permit through the Development One Stop Shop.

Before applying, you can meet with a government planner for free advice.

If your development application is approved

If your application is approved you will need to meet the conditions of your development permit.

New addresses

If you are applying to subdivide land in an urban area you must work out whether your development will create multiple street addresses.

Addresses should be allocated as early as possible and will be assigned based on the location of the entry point to the address.

You must contact Survey and Land Records.

Read more about creating new property and street addresses.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 March 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.