Registration and number plates
This page has information on registration and numbers plates in the Northern Territory.
- Register or transfer your vehicle
How to register your new car, motorbike, trailer or other vehicle in the NT including information about roadworthy inspections.
- Register vehicle in joint names
How to register a vehicle in a joint names at the MVR.
- Temporary licence for unregistered vehicle
You can apply for a temporary licence to drive an unregistered vehicle if you and your vehicle can meet all of the requirements to register a vehicle in the Northern Territory.
- Licensed vehicle dealers and registration
How to submit a notice of disposal form with the MVR to properly dispose of motor vehicles or register a vehicle for an interstate or overseas resident.
- Register an imported vehicle
What you need to register an imported vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT).
- Compulsory third party insurance
Information on the types of third party insurance you must have to drive a vehicle.
- NT residents: apply for long term traveller registration
Information on applying for a long term traveller status for NT residents intending to travel in Australia for more than 12 months.
- Golf buggy exemption
When you should register your golf buggy in the NT, including insurance and driver licence requirements for driving your golf buggy.
- Motor club vehicles
The NT Club Registration Scheme gives you a reduced rate of registration and compulsory third party insurance.
- Primary producer discount and pastoral vehicle permits
Guide to the registration discount and stamp duty exemption for primary producers who want to drive on public roads, including pastoral vehicle permits.
- Quad bikes and ATVs: conditional registration
How to apply for conditional registration for a quad bike or all-terrain vehicles (ATV) for work related purposes.
Information about motorised scooters and what licence you need to have to ride one in the Northern Territory.
- Non standard vehicle types
This page has information on segways, power assisted bicycles or bikes, and glider trailers.
- Special purpose plant and equipment vehicles
How to apply for conditional registration for a special purpose plant and equipment vehicles for work related purposes.
- Apply for rally car registration
Find out how to register your rally car.
- Check your vehicle registration
How to check your vehicle registration status using Rego Check Online, by phone or email.
- Renew your vehicle registration
How to renew your car, motorbike, trailer or other vehicle registration online, using the NT rego app, by mail, phone or in person.
- Apply for your vehicle registration history
How to apply to the MVR for a search of your registration history.
- Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration
Checks you should carry out before you buy a second-hand vehicle, when you should transfer the ownership and lodging a notice of disposal form if you are selling a vehicle.
- Change contact details on vehicle registration
Change your contact details on your vehicle registration, including your address, email and phone number.
- Change your name on vehicle registration
How to change your name and what documents you will need at the MVR.
- Cancel or refund your vehicle registration
Information on getting a refunding or cancelling your vehicle registration in the Northern Territory.
- NT Rego app
How to get the NT Rego app to check the registration of any vehicle in the NT, change your contact details and find MVR offices.
- MVR for Business
If you are a business operator or dealer, you can check, renew or transfer vehicle registrations online. If you are an authorised inspector, you can also submit roadworthy inspections online.
- Drive an interstate or overseas-registered vehicle
Information about requirements for driving interstate and overseas vehicles in the Northern Territory.
- Get a vehicle inspection
You can get a vehicle inspection with an authorised inspector or at a government inspection facility.
- Get a vehicle compliance check
When to get a compliance check, how to get one and what to do if your vehicle fails the inspection.
- Find a vehicle inspection facility
For compliance checks and roadworthy inspections, go to your nearest vehicle inspection facility.
- Find an authorised vehicle inspector
Find an authorised vehicle inspector to carry out your roadworthy inspection to register your vehicle or renew your registration.
- Check if your vehicle needs an inspection
Find out when your type of vehicle needs a roadworthy inspection for registration, including information on older cars.
- If your vehicle fails the inspection
You may apply for a temporary licence to drive an unregistered vehicle if the vehicle is safe to drive.
- Become an authorised inspector
Find out how to become an authorised inspector for motor vehicles.
- Number plates: apply or transfer plates
Guide to approved number plates and the right to display number plates in the Northern Territory.
- Replace your damaged, lost or stolen number plates
You can apply to have your plates replaced or you can get a new set of general issue plates if they are damaged, defaced, lost or stolen.
- Apply for a trader's plate
How to get trader's plates in the Northern Territory.
- Vehicle modifications
Information on the approval processes for registration of modified or individually constructed vehicles in the Northern Territory.
- Vehicle accessories
Information on requirements for fitting vehicle accessories, including antennas, bonnet scoops, bull bars, roof racks and bicycle racks.
- Vehicle standards for registration
Registration standards for your vehicle, including lights and window tinting.
- Driver training vehicle: apply to fit dual control
How to apply to the MVR to fit dual control to a vehicle if you are conducting driver training.
- Light bus seat modifications
Rules you must follow to modify the number of seats in a light bus so a person with a C class driver licence can drive the vehicle.
- Pastoral vehicles: registration standards
Information on special vehicle standards for certain types of pastoral vehicles to meet registration requirements in the NT.
- Towing and A-frames
Northern Territory regulations and guidelines for towing, including using A-frames.