Quad bikes and ATVs: conditional registration
You can apply for conditional registration for a quad bike or all-terrain vehicles (ATV) for work related purposes.
A quad bike is a four wheel vehicle with saddle-style seating.
An ATV is a four-wheeled vehicle that is usually fitted with seatbelts and roll-over protection systems and a side-by-side seating style.
You can apply for work related purposes including any of the following:
- roadside litter collection
- ground maintenance
- herbicide spraying
- park management.
Driving on wet roads or rough terrain is not regarded as a sufficient reason for conditional registration.
Before you apply
Check that your quad bike or ATV has the right minimum safety equipment including all of the following:
- a rotating amber flashing light visible from all directions from a distance of at least 200m in daylight conditions
- front and rear lighting to improve vehicle visibility
- rear-vision mirror
- horn or suitable audible warning device
- adequate brakes and steering
- red rear reflectors.
Riding restrictions on your conditional registration include all of the following:
- speed restrictions
- wearing an approved motorcycle helmet
- a current 'C' class driver licence or 'R' class driver licence.
How to apply
Complete and email your application for conditional registration assessment to email@example.com.
You can then organise for an assessment and pay your conditional registration fee by phone 1300 654 628.
If you can't email your application, you can apply in person at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash or EFTPOS.
To find out more call a MVR customer service officer (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday) on 1300 654 628.
For more information, get a copy of the following:
Last updated: 15 June 2018
Share this page: