Get your motorcycle licence


To ride a motorcycle in the Northern Territory (NT), you must have a motorcycle licence.

This is also called a rider licence or an R class licence.

You can apply for a motorcycle licence if you're an NT resident and at least 16 years old.

Stages to getting your R class licence

Stage 1. Learner licence

You must hold a rider learner licence for at least 6 continuous months immediately before you move to the next stage of the licence.

If your rider licence is suspended, disqualified, or expires, you must wait 6 continuous months from when it is reactivated before you can:

  • take your practical test or
  • upgrade to the next stage of your licence.

If your rider learner licence is about to expire, you can renew it six weeks before it is due to expire.

To renew your rider learner licence, you need to:

By doing so, you will avoid breaking the 6 month period needed to take your practical test.

Stage 2. Provisional or restricted licence

Provisional licence

You can apply for a provisional rider licence if you do not hold a licence of another class.

If you are under the age of 25, you will be provisional for 2 years.

If you are 25 years old or over, you will be provisional for one year.

Restricted licence

You can get a restricted rider licence if you already hold a full licence of another class. For example, class C driver licence.

You must hold the restricted rider licence for 12 months.

Stage 3. Open licence

You can get your full/open R class licence after completing your R class provisional or restricted licence period.

Read more about rider licence classes and conditions.

Novice motorcycle rider

A novice motorcycle rider is a person who holds a R class learner, provisional or restricted licence.

As a novice rider, you may only ride a motorcycle listed under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme.

To get the list of approved motorcycles for novice riders, go to the New South Wales Government's website.

Motorcycles not on the list can't be legally ridden by novice riders and there are no exemptions. 

Learner approved motorcycles have:

  • a maximum power to weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne (kw/t) and
  • an engine capacity not exceeding 660 cubic centimetres (cc).

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 November 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!