Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration
New owner responsibilities: buyer
You must apply to transfer the ownership of a second-hand vehicle within 14 days of the date of the sale.
Before you apply
You must do all of the following:
- fill in the R11 apply to register a vehicle in the NT form signed by both you and the former owner (seller)
- provide evidence of your identity and NT residency
- provide proof of vehicle ownership.
How to apply
Submit your completed application by email, mail or person at an MVR office.
You must also pay the transfer of ownership fee and stamp duty (if applicable).
Email your application form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MVR will contact you about payment. You can pay the fees by Visa or Mastercard.
You can send your application and supporting documents to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can either:
- pay the fees with a cheque or money order or
- ring the MVR and pay by using a Visa or MasterCard once the form and documents are received.
You can submit your application form and supporting documents at an MVR office.
You can pay the fees by using Visa, MasterCard, BasicsCard, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
To find out more, contact the MVR.
Last updated: 06 May 2021
Share this page:URL copied!