Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration
New owner responsibilities: buyer
Electric vehicle concessions
From 1 July 2022, you can get registration and stamp duty concessions for eligible plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs).
Find out about PEV registration and stamp duty concession.
You must apply to transfer the ownership of a second-hand vehicle within 14 days of the date of the sale.
Before you apply
You must do all of the following:
- fill in the R11 apply to register a vehicle in the NT form - signed by both you and the former owner (seller)
- provide evidence of your identity and NT residency
- provide proof of vehicle ownership.
How to apply
Submit your completed application through any of the options below.
You must also pay the transfer of ownership fee and stamp duty (if applicable).
You can submit your application form and supporting documents at an MVR office.
You can pay the fees by using Visa, MasterCard, BasicsCard, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
Email your application form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MVR will contact you about payment. You can pay the fees by Visa or Mastercard.
You can send your application and supporting documents to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can either:
- pay the fees with a cheque or money order or
- call the MVR and pay by using a Visa or MasterCard once the form and documents are received.
To find out more, contact the MVR.
Last updated: 05 June 2022
Share this page:URL copied!