Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration
Former owner responsibilities: seller
To sell your vehicle, you must follow these steps:
- Submit a notice of disposal to the Motor Vehicle Register (MVR) within 14 days of selling a second-hand vehicle.
- Supply the new owner with proof of ownership.
1. Submit a notice of disposal to the MVR
You will need a completed notice of disposal clearly written and signed by both you and the new owner (buyer).
Acceptable types of notice of disposal
A notice of disposal can be one of the following:
- an R06 notice of disposal form - signed by both you and the buyer
- the most recent certificate of registration - signed by both you and the buyer
- a clearly written document - signed by both you and the buyer
- a fax - signed by both you and the buyer
- an email - see more details below.
If either seller or buyer of the vehicle is not an individual
If vehicle is :
- jointly owned by 2 individuals - you need signatures from both persons
- under a business name - you need the signature of the proprietor(s) of the business
- registered under a company name - you need the signature of an appointed secretary, manager or managing director.
What the notice of disposal must include
Your notice of disposal must include all of the following:
- the full names and addresses of both the seller and buyer, which may be a body corporate
- the buyer's date of birth - not required for a body corporate
- the date the vehicle was sold or disposed of
- the sale price or market value of the vehicle
- signatures of both the seller (or agent) and the buyer (or agent)
- vehicle registration number and one of the following:
- make or model of the vehicle
- vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
- engine number.
If the registration number is not known, you must provide all the vehicle details above.
How to submit your notice of disposal
Choose one of the following options.
You can email your notice of disposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're emailing the certificate of registration, you must scan both sides to show the:
- previous registered owner
- vehicle details.
Send it to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You may also submit it in person at an MVR office.
2. Supply the new owner with proof of ownership
You must provide the buyer with proof of vehicle ownership.
Last updated: 06 May 2021
Share this page:URL copied!