Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration
Former owner responsibilities: seller
To sell your vehicle, you must follow these steps:
- Submit a notice of disposal to the Motor Vehicle Register (MVR) within 14 days of selling a second-hand vehicle.
- Supply the new owner with proof of ownership.
1. Submit a notice of disposal to the MVR
You will need a completed notice of disposal clearly written and signed by both you and the new owner (buyer).
Acceptable types of notice of disposal
A notice of disposal can be one of the following:
- an R06 notice of disposal form signed by both you and the buyer
- the most recent certificate of registration signed by both you and the buyer
- a clearly written document that is signed by both you and the buyer
- a fax signed by both you and the buyer
- an email - see more details below.
If either seller or buyer of the vehicle is not an individual
If vehicle is jointly owned by two individuals - you need signatures from both persons.
If vehicle is under a business name - you need the signature of the proprietor(s) of the business.
If vehicle is registered under a company name - you need the signature of an appointed secretary, manager or managing director.
What the notice of disposal must include
Your notice of disposal must include all of the following:
- the full names and addresses of both the seller and buyer, which may be a body corporate
- the buyer's date of birth - not required for a body corporate
- the date the vehicle was sold or disposed of
- the sale price or market value of the vehicle
- signatures of both the seller (or agent) and the buyer (or agent)
- vehicle registration number and one of the following:
- make or model of the vehicle
- vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
- engine number.
If the registration number is not known, you must provide all the vehicle details above.
How to submit your notice of disposal
Choose one of the following options.
You can email your notice of disposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are emailing the certificate of registration, you must scan both sides to show the:
- previous registered owner
- vehicle details.
If your notice of disposal is associated with an eBay contract, you must attach those documents to your email.
MVR will accept them as evidence of the signatures of both the seller and buyer.
Your email must show your intention to buy the vehicle, and include the vehicle registration number.
You can also include:
- the VIN
- chassis or engine number.
If you are mailing your notice of disposal, follow the same instruction as emailing.
Mail it to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You may also submit it in person at an MVR office.
2. Supply the new owner with proof of ownership
You must provide the buyer with proof of vehicle ownership.
You can provide any of the following:
- a letter, receipt or notice of disposal clearly identifying the:
- vehicle and the buyer
- registration number
- VIN or chassis number
- engine number
- date of sale
- purchase price of vehicle
- a 13A certificate of registration issued at a remote Northern Territory Police Station signed by both you and the buyer
- documents from a court of law allocating ownership of a vehicle
- a statutory declaration - if your vehicle is homemade and has not been registered before.
Last updated: 09 June 2020
Share this page: