Register or transfer your vehicle

If you're a Northern Territory (NT) resident, you must register your vehicle with the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) office.

This includes:

  • buying a new vehicle
  • vehicles that haven't been registered in the NT for more than 12 months (otherwise you can renew your vehicle registration)
  • vehicles registered with another state or country (you must do this within three months of living in the NT)
  • vehicle ownership for a deceased estate.

This applies to cars, motorcycles, trailers and other vehicles.

You don't need to display registration stickers on light vehicles in the NT.

How to register

To register your vehicle for the first time, follow the steps below.

You may choose a registration period of one, three, six or 12 months.


You must check if you need to get a vehicle inspection. If it needs a repair, you may get a temporary licence on a case by case basis.

You may also need to get a vehicle compliance check at a government vehicle inspection facility.

Fill in the R11 application to register a vehicle PDF (914.6 KB).

You must also attach the following supporting documents:

Submit application with supporting documents at an MVR office. Pay the fees for registration, number plates, and stamp duty by EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard or cash.

Stamp duty

You may be exempt from stamp duty - check the application for stamp duty exemption PDF (195.5 KB).

If you're not exempt, check how much you must pay using the MVR duty calculator.


If you have any questions, email or call 1300 654 628 (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday).

Last updated: 11 August 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!