Drive an interstate or overseas-registered vehicle

Compulsory third party insurance

For vehicles from interstate

You can apply for compulsory third party insurance for your visiting vehicle if you don't already have this insurance on your interstate registration.

If you have a trailer

You can also apply for third party insurance for your trailer if:

  • it is registered in another state or territory
  • not automatically covered by this insurance.

This can occur in some instances when the vehicle and trailer are registered in different jurisdictions.

To check if your vehicle and trailer combination is covered by third party insurance from the home state, answer the questions below.

Before you apply

You will need to do the following:

How to apply

To apply, follow the steps below.

Step 1. Fill in an R39 application for compulsory third party insurance for a visiting vehicle or trailer form PDF (221.4 KB).

Step 2. Submit your application and documents by email, fax, mail or in person.

Step 3. Pay the compulsory third party insurance fee.

Step 4. You will be given a receipt. This is your compulsory third party insurance. It must be kept with you at all times while driving in the NT.


Email your completed application and documents to

Pay the fee by phone 1300 654 628 using a Visa or MasterCard.


Fax your application and documents to 08 8999 3103.


Send your application and documents to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Pay the fee with a cheque or money order.

You can also call the MVR to pay by Visa or MasterCard once your application is received.

In person

You can submit your application and documents at an MVR office.

Pay the fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.


For more information, contact the MVR.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 May 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!