Drive an interstate or overseas-registered vehicle

Overseas-registered vehicles

You can drive your overseas-registered vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT) if it:

  • is in the NT for less than 3 months
  • is registered in another country for the length of its stay in the NT
  • has number plates required by the law of that country
  • has a policy of compulsory third party insurance (CTPI) issued within Australia.

You must drive your overseas vehicle on a public road or street under the same conditions, restrictions or limitations that are placed on your registration.

If the vehicle first entered Australia in the NT

You must have your vehicle inspected at a government inspection facility for compliance and an NT roadworthy inspection.

You must also apply for CTPI for your visiting vehicle if you don't already have this insurance issued within Australia. Find out how to apply for CTPI.

Before you apply, you must do the following:

  • provide a current certificate of registration from the country where the vehicle is registered, in the name of the applicant, for the vehicle
  • provide a copy of a carnet (international customs document) or Federal Office of Road Safety import approval, and any other customs documents

If the vehicle is staying in the NT for longer than 3 months

You must transfer your vehicle to the NT if you have been driving your overseas vehicle for more than 3 months.

Otherwise, it may be deemed unregistered and uninsured even if it has current registration overseas.

Read more about how to transfer your vehicle.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 19 July 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!