Drive an interstate or overseas-registered vehicle

Interstate registered vehicles

NT residents driving interstate registered vehicles

You must transfer your vehicle to the NT if you fit any of the following:

  • have lived in the NT for more than three months
  • have applied for or received an NT driver licence
  • have bought an interstate registered vehicle and it has been in the NT for more than 28 days
  • are a NT resident and you have been driving an interstate registered vehicle in the NT for more than three months.

Visitors driving interstate registered vehicles

You can drive your interstate registered vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT) if you can meet all of the following:

  1. You and your vehicle are in the NT for less than three months.
  2. Your vehicle has current interstate registration.
  3. Your vehicle has compulsory third party insurance in your home state or territory.
  4. Your vehicle is classified as a visiting vehicle.

Visiting vehicle classification

To be a visiting vehicle it must be all of the following:

  • only temporarily in the NT (less than three months)
  • registered in another state or territory for the duration of its stay in the NT
  • fitted with number plates required by the law of that state or territory
  • issued with compulsory third party insurance within Australia.

You must drive your interstate vehicle on a public road or street under the same conditions, restrictions or limitations that are placed on your interstate registration. If you don't do this, your vehicle can be deemed unregistered.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 05 February 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!