Get a vehicle compliance check
During a compliance check, an approved person confirms your vehicle identification or description.
Who needs a check
You must get a compliance check if you:
- are registering your vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT) for the first time
- need to confirm your vehicle identification or description or
- have altered your vehicle engine number or description.
Before you get a check
If your vehicle is:
- under 5 years old - you only need to get a compliance check
- 5 years old or more - you must get a vehicle inspection before a compliance check.
For heavy vehicles, check if your vehicle needs an inspection before you get a compliance check.
How to get a check
You must get a compliance check through a government vehicle inspection facility. There is no fee.
Darwin, Alice Springs or Katherine
If you're in Darwin, Alice Springs or Katherine, you don't need to book.
Find out where and the opening hours of the vehicle inspection facilities.
If you need a compliance check in one of the below locations, you must make a booking:
- Tennant Creek
To book, contact the Motor Vehicle Registry office.
If your vehicle fails a check
Read what you should do if your vehicle fails the inspection.
If you have any questions, contact your nearest vehicle inspection facility.
For more information, read the vehicle inspection types bulletin .
Last updated: 24 January 2022
Share this page:URL copied!