If your vehicle fails the inspection

If your vehicle fails the inspection, you must get the faults repaired and re-checked.

You don't need to pay a fee for a failed roadworthy inspection at a vehicle inspection facility.

Once it is repaired, you can:

  • present your vehicle for re-inspection at a vehicle inspection facility - you don't need to re-book online
  • have an authorised inspector (local mechanic) carry out the roadworthy inspection - you will need to pay them the inspection fee.

They may be some instances (such as vehicle modifications) where a vehicle is required to return for a transport inspector to re-check the vehicle after repairs. If this is the case, you will be informed at the time of the initial inspection.

If your vehicle is unregistered

If your vehicle does not pass the roadworthy inspection and is unregistered, you may apply for a temporary licence for up to seven days.

This will allow you to get repairs done to your vehicle so it can pass another vehicle inspection.

How to apply

To apply, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the R7 application for a temporary licence to drive/tow an unregistered vehicle form PDF (234.3 KB).

Step 2. Submit your completed form by email or in person.

Step 3. Pay the temporary licence fee.


Email to mvr@nt.gov.au.

Pay the fee by calling 1300 654 628 using Visa or Mastercard.

In person

You can submit your application at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

For more information, contact the MVR.

After you apply

If your application is approved, you will be given a receipt. This is your temporary licence.

It must be kept with you at all times while driving in the NT.

Last updated: 03 May 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!