Vehicle modifications


Modified vehicles or individually constructed vehicles may be registered in the Northern Territory (NT) provided they conform to safety standards and are approved by the MVR.

There are different approval processes for different types of vehicle modifications.

You may need to apply for technical advisory committee (TAC) assessment if your vehicle has significant or extensive modifications, or you are building an individually constructed vehicle (ICV).

The TAC meets on the first Wednesday of each month (except January), and the closing date for applications is the close of business on the last Wednesday prior to the scheduled meeting.

There are also requirements for the repair or welding of vehicle components.

To carry out some vehicle modifications you may need engineering certification that is issued by a recognised engineer in the NT.

Modified or individually constructed vehicles (ICVs) may also be subject to periodic inspections at the MVR.

You should check with your insurance company before making any alterations to your vehicle, as some modifications may affect your insurance cover.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 January 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.