Non-standard vehicle types
The following vehicles, other than glider trailers, don't need to be registered but they must meet certain standards.
A power-assisted bicycle has:
- pedals as a means of propulsion
- an engine or motor which is capable of producing a power output not exceeding 200 watts.
You don't have to register a power-assisted bicycle and you can ride it on the road or a public place.
You must also comply with the cycling safety rules in the NT.
For more information, read V65 motorised foot scooters and power-assisted cycles .
A segway is a two wheeled personal mobility device that allows the rider to stand on a platform and control their motion by shifting their body weight.
To ride a segway in the NT, you must be:
- at least 16 years old - if unsupervised or
- at least 12 years old - if supervised by an adult rider.
Segways don't need to be registered in the NT or require third party insurance, and riders don't need a driver licence.
Rules for riding a segway
- You can ride a segway on a public place.
- You must not ride a segway on any NT roads - unless you're in an exempt area.
- When used on footpaths and shared paths, you must keep to the left hand side and give way to pedestrians and cyclists.
- You must not travel faster than 12km/hr.
- You must wear approved safety helmets.
- Segways must be fitted with a warning device such as a horn or bell.
- If riding at night, lights must be fitted and operational showing white light for at least 200m to the front and red light for at least 200m to the rear.
Commercial business using segways
If you want to operate a self-ride hiring of segways, segway tours or any other business involving segways, you must get permission from the road owner and/or the land owner as other requirements may apply.
For more information about segways, read V85 use of segways in the NT .
For information about road transformers, read V77 general exemption for towed implement - road transformer .
For information about glider trailers, read V76 aeroplane glider trailers .
Last updated: 09 October 2020
Share this page:URL copied!