Renew your vehicle registration
Electric vehicle concessions
From 1 July 2022, you can get registration and stamp duty concessions for eligible plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs).
Find out about PEV registration and stamp duty concession.
If your vehicle registration is due to expire, you must renew it with the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).
You may choose a registration period of 1, 3, 6 or 12 months.
You may also be able to get a concession on your registration fee if you have one you can use at MVR.
If you’re using your vehicle for hire or rental for the first time, you must register it as one before you can renew it.
Check if you need an inspection
You should check if your vehicle needs an inspection on your renewal notice.
If it’s due, your inspector may supply the inspection report (green slip) to the MVR, or you can submit it:
You must allow one business day before renewing if you submit your report by email or via the NT Rego app.
Who can’t renew
You can’t renew if you have a:
- cancelled or suspended vehicle registration
- defected vehicle.
Before you renew
Before you renew, you must check that you have your:
- transaction number shown on your registration renewal notice
- registration number (number plate)
- concession card (if applicable) - if you’re using it for the first time, you must let MVR know.
You can renew your registration at a participating Australia Post outlet or at an MVR office.
- have your evidence of identity eg. driver licence
- provide a letter of authority – if you're not the registered owner and don’t have a renewal notice
- pay by cash, cheque, BasicsCard, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard.
To renew your registration by mail, you must send:
- your renewal notice
- a letter requesting renewal including your vehicle's registration number – if you don’t have a renewal notice
- a copy of your evidence of identity eg. driver licence
- an authorisation letter – if you’re not the registered owner
- your inspection report (if due for an inspection and not submitted already)
- a cheque or money order for your renewal fee.
If you meet these conditions, mail to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 23 August 2022
Share this page:URL copied!