Apply for a temporary licence to drive or tow an unregistered vehicle

If you need to relocate or repair an unregistered vehicle, you must apply for a temporary licence to drive or tow it in the Northern Territory (NT).

The temporary licence doesn’t cover the regular use of a vehicle on a public street and can’t be used as a substitute for normal registration.

You can apply if you meet all of the requirements below:

  • you hold the relevant class of licence for the vehicle you will drive
  • the vehicle parts are in safe condition - for example, breaks
  • the licence is required to relocate or repair the vehicle.

When you can use a temporary licence

You may use a temporary licence in any of the following circumstances:

  • an unregistered vehicle is to be relocated from one location to another
  • an unregistered vehicle is to be driven to a workshop associated with the service or repair of motor vehicles
  • a vehicle operating under a pastoral permit is to be transported to another location which is not approved under the pastoral permit issued to that vehicle
  • relocating unregistered caravans, mobile homes and other such vehicles primarily used as a dwelling from one location to another
  • relocating unregistered machinery or plant from one work-site to another
  • an unregistered vehicle is to be used to participate in an approved parade, procession or event
  • when a non-standard vehicle - generally a trailer - is being used to transport a non-standard load and approval is issued from the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR)
  • a registered motor vehicle is to be used when a greater compensation contribution would normally be required - eg: when a standard registered vehicle is to be offered as a self-drive hire car
  • a vehicle or trailer is detected as unregistered and uninsured during an auditing process.

How to apply

To apply for a temporary licence, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in an R7 apply for a temporary licence to drive or tow an unregistered vehicle form PDF (234.3 KB).

Step 2. Submit your application by email, mail or in person.

Step 3. Pay the temporary licence fee.


Email your application to

Pay the fee by calling 1300 654 628 using Visa or MasterCard.


Send your application to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Pay the fee by cheque or money order.

You can also call the MVR to pay by Visa or MasterCard once your application is received.

In person

You can submit your application at an MVR office.

Pay the fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

After you apply

You will be given a receipt. This is your temporary licence.

You must keep it with you at all times while driving in the NT.


For more information, contact the MVR.

Last updated: 21 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!