Register an imported vehicle


To register an imported vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT), you need the following:

Interstate transfer of NT imported vehicle registration

Imported vehicles accepted for registration in the NT may not necessarily be acceptable in other jurisdictions – e.g. left hand drive.

Selling an imported vehicle

If a vehicle has met the requirements for import approval and initial registration, there is no restriction preventing the sale unless conditions have been applied to the vehicle import approval (VIA) to restrict vehicle ownership.

It is an offence to sell an imported vehicle for use on a public road if:

  • it doesn't meet the Australian Design Rules or
  • it doesn't have one of the following fitted - as required by the VIA:

More information

Read the V48 Imported vehicles information bulletin PDF (695.0 KB).

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 16 March 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!