Licensed vehicle dealers and registration

Licensed motor vehicle dealers must submit a notice of disposal form with the motor vehicle registry (MVR) to properly dispose of vehicles.

Vehicle dealers can also register a vehicle for an interstate or overseas resident.


When selling or disposing of a vehicle, licensed motor vehicle dealers and auction houses must submit a notice of disposal.

The notice must be filed with MVR within 14 days of the sale.

The notice type you use depends on the number of vehicles you are making a notification about.

Single vehicle

For single vehicles you can complete either:

Multiple vehicles

For notification of multiple vehicles you can complete an R15 bulk notice of disposal form PDF (28.4 KB).

What the notice must include

The notice must include all of the following information:

  • the full name and address of the buyer - this may be a body corporate
  • buyer's date of birth - not required for a body corporate
  • the date of the sale or disposal of the vehicle
  • the price paid for the vehicle
  • vehicle registration number, make, model, VIN/chassis number, engine number
  • signatures of both the buyer and the seller.

Any notice that has not been completed properly will be returned to the licensed vehicle dealer or auction house for correction.

This means the dealer or auction house may still be held responsible for the vehicle – including traffic infringements and demerit points – until the MVR accepts the notice of disposal.


Submit your notice of disposal either by:

Licensed motor vehicle dealers can register a vehicle for a person who is an interstate or overseas resident but has bought a vehicle in the Northern Territory.

You will need to submit all of the following:

  1. an R11 application to register a vehicle PDF (1.2 MB) (or transfer form at the back of the vehicle's registration certification)
  2. an R47 application to register a vehicle for a non-resident PDF (308.6 KB)
  3. a copy of the new owner's interstate or overseas driver licence details
  4. a copy of the new owner's passport if they are an overseas resident.


Submit the application in person at an MVR office.

Last updated: 16 March 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.