Find a mobile authorised vehicle inspector
Authorised inspectors (AI) ensure that your vehicle complies to roadworthy and safety standards.
They are local mechanics who work on behalf of the Northern Territory (NT) Government.
You must get a vehicle inspection through them before renewing your registration.
If you live in a remote area or on a cattle station in the NT, you can get a mobile AI to come to you.
The mobile service is limited to specific areas only.
Before you book
You must make sure you're booking with a mobile AI who is authorised to inspect your vehicle type.
If you need a compliance check, you must do this at a vehicle inspection facility or a remote police outstation.
For fairness, mobile AIs can't carry out inspections:
- in excluded mobile AI zones - see below
- within a town outside the excluded mobile AI zones, if:
- there is an approved inspection station (local mechanic) operating within that town and
- offers that type of inspection.
In these circumstances, mobile inspections must only be conducted more than 100km from the town.
Excluded mobile AI zones
An excluded mobile AI zone is within the boundaries of the following councils:
- Darwin municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- land covered under the Darwin Rates Act - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Darwin Waterfront Precinct - refer to figure 1
- Palmerston municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Litchfield municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Coomalie Shire - refer to figure 2
- Katherine municipality - refer to figure 2
- Alice Springs municipality - refer to figure 2.
A municipality means a town or city that’s usually governed by a mayor and council.
Where to book
Choose from the list of mobile AIs below. Check the vehicle category to make sure the AI is authorised to inspect your vehicle type.
Vehicle categories are listed as follows:
A - Light vehicles (under 4.5 tonnes GVM)
B - Motorcycle
C - Heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
D - Plant and equipment
E - Commercial Passenger Vehicles
F - Light trailers (<= 2 tonnes ATM)
G - All trailers
V - Vintage veteran and classic cars.
|Mobile authorised inspector name||Vehicle category||Phone|
|Badger Smith||A, B, C, D, E, F, G, V||0419 998 530|
|Jared Webb||A, C, D, E, G, V||0428 758 071|
Find out how to become an authorised inspector.
Last updated: 17 September 2021
Share this page:URL copied!