Find a mobile authorised vehicle inspector
Authorised vehicle inspectors (AI) ensure that your vehicle complies to roadworthy and safety standards.
They are qualified mechanics appointed to carry out vehicle inspections in the Northern Territory (NT).
You can choose to have your vehicle inspected by an AI when your vehicle is due for an inspection.
If you live in a remote area or on a cattle station in the NT, you can get a mobile AI to come to you.
The mobile service is limited to specific areas only.
Before you book
You must make sure you're booking with a mobile AI who is authorised to inspect your vehicle type.
If you need a compliance check, you must do this at a vehicle inspection facility or a remote police outstation.
For fairness, mobile AIs can't carry out inspections:
- in excluded mobile AI zones - see below
- within a town outside the excluded mobile AI zones, if:
- there is an approved inspection station (local mechanic) operating within that town and
- offers that type of inspection.
In these circumstances, mobile inspections must only be conducted more than 100km from the town.
Excluded mobile AI zones
An excluded mobile AI zone is within the boundaries of the following councils:
- Darwin municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- land covered under the Darwin Rates Act - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Darwin Waterfront Precinct - refer to figure 1
- Palmerston municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Litchfield municipality - refer to figure 1 and 2
- Coomalie Shire - refer to figure 2
- Katherine municipality - refer to figure 2
- Alice Springs municipality - refer to figure 2.
A municipality means a town or city that’s usually governed by a mayor and council.
AIs must follow a prescribed vehicle inspection fee.
They may charge less than the prescribed fee, but they must not charge more.
Check the vehicle inspection fee.
Where to book
Choose from the list of mobile AIs below. Check the vehicle category to make sure the AI is authorised to inspect your vehicle type.
Vehicle categories are listed as follows:
A - light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM)
B - motorcycle
C - heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
D - plant and equipment
E - commercial passenger vehicles
F - light trailers (up to 4.5 tonnes ATM)
G - all trailers
V - vintage veteran and classic cars.
|Mobile authorised inspector name||Vehicle category||Phone|
|Adam Blackwood||A, B, C, D, E, G, V||08 8972 1770|
|Andrew Lachner||A, C, D, E, G, V||0427 858 304|
|Aloys Chigova||A, B, C, E, F, V||0477 892 097|
|Badger Smith||A, B, C, D, E, F, G, V||0419 998 530|
|Bryce Gill||A, B, C, E, F, V||0419 639 960|
|Jared Webb||A, C, D, E, G, V||0428 758 071|
|Jason Francis||A, C, D, E, F, G, V||0418 467 477|
|Johannes Van Loenhout||A, B, C, D, E, G, V||0428 565 376|
|Kain Angel||A, B, C, D, E, G, V||0428 397 100|
|Luke MacFarlane||A, D, E, F, V||0488 150 602|
|Miguel Girma||A, B, C, D, E, F, G, V||0427 197 969|
|Tonic Jeche||A, C, D, E, F, V||0409 043 213|
Find out how to become an authorised inspector.
Last updated: 20 June 2022
Share this page:URL copied!