Become an authorised inspector
Authorised inspectors are qualified mechanics appointed to carry out vehicle inspections in the Northern Territory (NT).
You can be authorised to carry out inspections:
- on more than one class of vehicle
- at more than one inspection station.
How to apply
To apply to become an authorised inspector, follow these steps.
Step 1. Fill in the form
Fill in the authorised inspector form .
Step 2. Attach supporting documents
Attach the following supporting documents to your application:
- a criminal history check - read how to apply for a criminal history check
- your relevant qualifications - eg: motor vehicle trade certificates
- two written references - personal and work-related
- your NT driver licence details
- details of the approved inspection station where you would do this work and the owner's endorsement.
If you don't provide all this information within three months of starting your application, you will need to reapply.
Step 3. Submit your application
Submit the form and your supporting documents by email, mail or fax.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Fax to 08 8999 3103.
Step 4. Take the exam
After your application has been approved, you must take an exam for the vehicle class you applied for.
You must sit a separate exam for each class you apply for.
If you pass the exam, you will be appointed as an authorised inspector for this class.
Last updated: 25 January 2021
Share this page: