Driver training vehicle: apply to fit dual control
You must apply to the MVR to fit dual control to a vehicle for the purpose of conducting driver training.
You must be an approved driver trainer or service provider to apply.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you must follow these steps:
Step 1. Apply for technical advisory committee approval for your modifications.
Step 2. Ensure your modifications are installed and meet Australian Standards.
Read below for more information.
Technical advisory committee approval
The technical advisory committee (TAC) meets on the first Wednesday of each month (except January).
The closing date for applications is close of business on the last Wednesday before the scheduled meeting. Although you should note that most driver training applications are handled 'out of session' of an ordinary meeting.
Find out more about how to apply for technical advisory committee (TAC) approval.
You should read the Australian Standards 3954.1-1991 for dual control vehicles. You will need to pay a fee to access these standards online.
As a guide, the vehicle must have all of the following:
- a passenger's side brake pedal
- an additional internal rear vision mirror that the instructor can see traffic approaching from the rear - sun visor mounted vanity mirrors are not acceptable
- a clearly visible label fitted to the passenger's side of the dashboard carrying the words 'This vehicle is fitted with dual controls.'
The dual controls must be mounted:
- on a suitable structural section of the vehicle
- as close as possible to the same horizontal and vertical plane as the driver's side pedals
- so that travel and response is similar to those of the driver's side pedals.
Pedals, cables and pivots must be of equivalent strength, material and durability as original controls.
How to apply
To apply to fit dual control to a vehicle, follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the application to modify a vehicle
Step 2. Submit your application.
You can submit your application by email, mail or in person.
Vehicle standards officer
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 2520
Darwin NT 0801
You can submit your application at an MVR office.
After you have applied
If your application is approved, you will be sent an approved in principle letter.
It should be noted that once the vehicle has been approved, the MVR will place a 'no transfers allowed' on its registration. This means the vehicle must be returned to standard before there is a change of ownership.
For more information contact the MVR office.
For more information get the driver training vehicles - dual control fitment information bulletin .
Last updated: 15 October 2018
Share this page:URL copied!