Zoned land: development and land use complaints

Changes to planning laws

On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT). Read about these changes.

The NT Planning Scheme 2020 also came into force on 31 July 2020. It replaces the 2007 scheme. Read the current planning scheme.

This page explains how to make a complaint about a failure to follow the Northern Territory Planning Scheme and zoning laws, development permit conditions, or endorsed plans.

Who can complain

A complaint may be made by a member of the public, local councils or other government agencies.

You can complain to the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics about another person or party who has not complied with the Planning Act 1999, a planning scheme or a development permit.

There may be further legal action against the other party by Development Consent Authority or the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics as a result of your complaint.

Outcomes of a complaint

Your complaint will be investigated by the department's compliance team.

The compliance team conducts inspections of approved projects, responds to reports and complaints, investigates potential breaches and carries out enforcement action.

If the complaint is about a breach of the law, the compliance team may negotiate an outcome between parties, send warning letters, send penalty notices or take legal action.

If the court finds the person or party has gone against the law, it may issue a fine and order work done to fix the breach of the law.

Confidentiality when making a complaint

If you make a complaint, your identity will be kept confidential unless:

  • it’s necessary to investigate the matter
  • you give written permission to disclose your identity
  • your identity has already been disclosed:
    • to the complainant or
    • in a public document
  • it’s required under the Northern Territory Information Act 2002
  • it's required to follow procedural fairness
  • the matter proceeds to court.

How to complain

Send the following details to the Development Assessment Services by post or email:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • the site address you are complaining about
  • details of the non-compliance
  • any other relevant information.

Compliance Officer
Development Assessment Services
GPO Box 1680
Darwin NT 0801

Last updated: 18 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.