Development One Stop Shop: applications and processes


The Development One Stop Shop has information for developers and the general public about both the development application process and current applications.

The general process for development applications

This page describes the general process for development applications in the Northern Territory.

Go to other Development One Stop Shop pages for details about your particular application.

Step 1: Pre-application meetings

You may meet with a planner from the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics or with the Development Consent Authority as many times as you need to get advice before submitting your application.

You must meet with a planner before submitting a concurrent application.

Step 2: Submit an application

You must submit some applications online through the Development Applications Online website. These include applications for all of the following:

  • exceptional development permits
  • variations to exceptional development permits
  • planning scheme amendments
  • concurrent applications
  • development
  • clearing of native vegetation
  • subdivision
  • consolidation
  • boundary realignment
  • variation of development permit conditions
  • clearance of development permits (certificate of compliance)
  • clearance of subdivision permits (part 5).

Other applications can only be submitted in person or by post, fax or email to a department office.

They include all of the following:

  • alterations permits
  • compliance checks
  • planning certificates
  • extensions of time
  • abandonment of use
  • extensions of abandonment periods
  • home-based visitor accommodation permit
  • planning appeals.

Find out the fee for your application and other information about development and planning fees and forms.

Step 3: Application assessment

A planner from the department's Development Assessment Services will be assigned to manage your application.

Step 4: Consultation

Depending on the advertising requirements for your particular application, the planner may place a notice in a local newspaper, contact affected parties and ask you to post a sign on the development site.

The general public can make submissions to the consent authority about your application.

Only people who make a submission about your application will have a right to apply for a review of the outcome if third-party review rights apply to your particular application.

You can choose to consult further within the community beyond your legal requirements.

Development Assessment Services will also send your application to other government agencies and councils for comment. These other agencies are referred to as service authorities.

Development Assessment Services will prepare a technical assessment and report for the consent authority.

You may request a copy of any public submissions and service authority comments.

If more information is required by Development Assessment Services, service authorities or the consent authority to fully assess your application, it could be deferred until you provide the information that has been requested.

You will be notified of the deferral and the information you need to provide.

Step 5: Decision on your application

Your proposal and any submissions will be considered by the consent authority.

The consent authority will tell you if your application has been consented to (approved), altered or refused.

Get guidance for your application

For help with your application book a meeting with a planner using the Development Application Online website or contact your nearest Development Assessment Services office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.