Council rates and garbage concessions
Members of the Northern Territory (NT) Concession Scheme can receive a concession on local council rates and garbage services.
You can get $200 per annum for council rates* and $150 per annum for garbage (*varies between regions).
Only one member per household can access concessions.
You can receive a concession on rates if you are a member who is registered as either the:
- title holder
- person responsible for rates and property costs.
The property must be your primary place of residence.
What’s not included
You can’t get concessions for:
- more than one property per ‘rating year’
- rate notices issued under a lease
- rate notices issued in a business or company name.
You can receive 62.5% of the annual property rate charges.
You can only get a maximum concession of $200 for each household per year.
You can receive a concession if you are a member who is:
- registered as the titleholder of the property you live in
- responsible for garbage costs through either a:
- local council
- body corporate/ strata title arrangement.
What’s not covered
You can't claim a concession if you are a member who lives outside:
- a town
- a city
- shire areas.
You can't claim the concession if you have a private arrangement for garbage collection.
You can get the following concessions amounts:
You will get the first concessions reimbursed by direct deposit into your nominated bank account.
You must submit:
- proof of payment.
The NT Concession and Recognition Unit will advise the council who will automatically apply future concessions.
Claims for concessions must be made within:
- six months of you incurring the cost or
- the financial year - whichever is greater.
If you are a member who purchased a property or who has joined outside the financial year, you can apply for rates and garbage concessions.
You can get a concession on a pro-rata basis.
Last updated: 15 June 2020
Share this page: