Council rates and garbage concessions

Members of the Northern Territory (NT) Concession Scheme can receive a concession on local council rates and garbage services.

You can get $200 per annum for council rates* and $150 per annum for garbage (*varies between regions).

Only one member per household can access concessions.

You can receive a concession on rates if you are a member who is:

  • registered as the title holder and
  • the person responsible for rates and property costs.

The property must be your primary place of residence.

What’s not included

You can’t get concessions for:

  • more than one property per ‘rating year’
  • rate notices issued under a lease
  • rate notices issued in a business or company name.

How much

You can receive 62.5% of the annual property rate charges.

You can only get a maximum concession of $200 for each household per year.

You can receive a concession if you are a member who is:

  • registered as the titleholder of the property you live in
  • responsible for garbage costs through either a:
    • local council
    • body corporate/ strata title arrangement.

What’s not covered

You can't claim a concession if you are a member who lives outside:

  • a town
  • a city
  • shire areas.

You can't claim the concession if you have a private arrangement for garbage collection.

How much

You can get the following concessions amounts:

LocationConcession amount
Alice Springs$52
Tennant Creek$45
Central Desert$75
Pine Creek$67
Timber Creek$85.68
West Arnhem$120

You will get the first concessions reimbursed by direct deposit into your nominated bank account.

You must submit:

Email your concession claim to or visit your nearest customer service centre.

The NT Concession and Recognition Unit will advise the council who will automatically apply future concessions.

Claims for concessions must be made within:

  • six months of you incurring the cost or
  • the financial year - whichever is greater.

If you are a member who purchased a property or who has joined outside the financial year, you can apply for rates and garbage concessions.

You can get a concession on a pro-rata basis.

Last updated: 01 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!