Bring your own (BYO) restaurants and cafes

On 1 October 2019, the Northern Territory Liquor Act 2019 came into effect.

If you operate a cafe or restaurant without a liquor licence and allowed patrons to bring their own (BYO) alcohol for you to serve them immediately before the Act commenced, you can keep operating this way until 1 October 2021.

However, if you want to keep serving BYO alcohol after that date, you must apply for a liquor licence with a BYO authority before 1 June 2021.

If your operation started after 1 October 2019, you are not allowed to serve BYO alcohol without a liquor licence and must immediately apply for a liquor licence if you want to serve BYO alcohol.


For more information, contact Licensing NT.

Last updated: 16 December 2019

Share this page: