Report unsafe or unapproved work
This page has information about reporting building activities that you think are unsafe or do not comply with building laws.
To report a life-threatening emergency contact an emergency service.
For urgent matters
To report problems such as a building at risk of collapse, phone Building Advisory Services on (08) 8999 8960.
Outside of business hours contact an emergency service.
For all other matters
For all other matters submit a written report to the Director of Building Control. The report should contain details of the property, the building or the work, and why you think it is unsafe or does not comply with the Building Act and Regulations.
Your report must do the following:
- clearly describe the issue and the effects on safety and amenity
- suggest a resolution, if relevant
- provide relevant information
- not give any information that is intentionally misleading or wrong.
You may also be asked to submit photographs or statements to assist the director’s investigation.
The director will assess your allegation to see if a resolution is within his or her powers.
The director’s response time to resolve the allegation depends on the following:
- the assessed level of risk to the community or an individual
- evidence of wrongdoing
- availability of departmental resources
- difficulty of gathering evidence in relation to the issues raised.
Confidentiality when making a report
If you report an unsafe or unlawful building activity, the director will aim to keep your details confidential.
The director may disclose your information in any of the following instances:
- the disclosure is necessary to investigate the matter
- the informant’s identity has already been disclosed to the complainant directly or in a publicly available document
- the release is required or in accordance with the Northern Territory Information Act
- the individual consents in writing to their identity being disclosed
- the disclosure is required to comply with principles of procedural fairness
- the matter proceeds to court.
You can make an anonymous report but this may restrict the director's ability to investigate the allegation.
Contact the Director of Building Control
(08) 8999 8985
GPO Box 1680
Darwin NT 0801
Building Advisory Services
Ground Floor Arnhemica House
16 Parap Road, Parap
The director will advise you of the following possible outcomes:
- if the matter is assessed as not within the director’s powers of investigation
- if the matter has been investigated
- any enforcement action initiated under the Building Act and whether compliance has been achieved.