Changes to planning laws
On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT). Read about these changes.
Some planning rules have changed due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Read more about changes to the planning rules.
Information about building and development in the Northern Territory.
- Indigenous community engineering guidelines (ICEG)
Guidelines for provision of essential services to remote communities.
- Building and renovating a home
Permits and requirements for residential building work in the Northern Territory.
- Building and renovating: permits and processes
Information about building certification and permits in the Northern Territory.
- Building a garden shed, carport, fence or shade structure
Legal exemptions, certification for occupancy and building approvals needed, for building a garden shed, carport, fence or shade structure in the Northern Territory.
- Building and energy efficiency
Information about energy efficient homes and the star energy ratings that are needed for houses and apartments in the Northern Territory.
- Check if your builder is registered
Search the Public Register of Building Practitioners.
- Converting a shed into a house
Building and legal approvals for converting a shed into a house in the Northern Territory.
- Get an owner builder certificate
How to get an owner builder certificate if you want to build or extend a home on your own land.
- Renovating or refurbishing wet areas in your home
Requirements for renovating the bathroom, toilet, ensuite, powder room or laundry of a house, shed or garage in the Northern Territory.
- Residential building insurance
Information about residential building insurance in the Northern Territory.
- Termite protection
Recommendations and requirements for termite protection systems in residential buildings.
- Audit of a building practitioner
How an audit is conducted by the Director of Building Control on a building practitioner.
- Building certification industry: forms and resources
Find out about and get forms and other resources related to building industry certification.
- About occupancy certification
Find out how to gain approval to occupy renovated and new buildings in the Northern Territory (NT).
- Non-conforming building products
Making sure you use building products that conform and comply to the National Construction Code.
- Asbestos and building
Information for working or living in a home with asbestos in the Northern Territory.
- Health requirements for mining and construction camps
Environmental health requirements for mining and construction projects in the NT, including food safety, on-site wastewater management and public health.
- Heritage properties: building works and development
Heritage listed properties and information to help before you do any building works, redevelopments or repairs.