Converting a shed into a house

This page has information about the approvals required if you're converting a shed into a house.

Building sheds and houses

The difference between a shed and a house is not about appearance.

Sheds are generally classified as non-habitable or class 10 buildings under the National Construction Code.

A house is classified as a habitable building, or class 1a building, under the code.

Legal responsibilities for converting a shed

You must engage a building certifier to determine the building work required for your conversion and to issue building approval and occupancy certification for the work.

Your building work may involve inspection, replacement or installation of any of the following:

  • a concrete slab or footings
  • termite risk management systems
  • ceiling heights
  • glazing
  • damp proofing
  • windows
  • ventilation
  • energy efficiency
  • fire separation.

The building certifier will need plans to be drawn up to detail the building work to be done.

Read more about building and renovating a home.

Planning approval

You may also need planning approval if converting your shed into a house.

For more information about meeting the NT Planning Scheme requirements, contact Development Assessment Services.

Last updated: 31 July 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!