Access to building files

Building files can be accessed by property owners or anyone with legal authority to view the documents.


All of the following information is held in building files:

  • drainage plans
  • site plans
  • floor plans
  • building permits
  • occupancy certification
  • inspection reports
  • pest control certificates
  • engineering certificates.

The parties listed below can view building files.


To access building documents, you must provide photographic identification to prove you are the registered owner of the property.

A registered owner can provide a letter authorising any other person to view the file.


If a company is the registered owner of the property, they must provide a letter on their letterhead, signed by the director, manager or principal, authorising the individual to view the building file.

You must also provide your company's registration details or a company extract from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to confirm the names of the company office holders.

To search company and other registers, go to the ASIC Connect website.


If third parties or agents want to access building documents, they must present a letter from the registered owner or an authority to access building records form signed by the registered owner.

Authority to access building records form DOCX (689.7 KB)
Authority to access building records form PDF (520.9 KB)

You may be able to view building file documents in paper or electronic form, or a combination.

To find out how you can access the files, contact Building Advisory Services.

Access paper-only files

You must view paper-only records in person at the front counter of a Building Advisory Services office.

To gain access to paper files, you must provide either of the following:

  • identification to prove that you are the registered owner of the property or
  • authorisation from the registered owner and personal identification.

Paper files will only be held for five business days unless specified at the time of order.

Access digital files

To view files that have been made digital and placed online, email all of the following to

  • evidence that you are the owner or an agent with authority to view the records - eg a driver licence, Medicare card or other identification - and a copy of the authorisation if applicable
  • the property address.

Building Advisory Services will send a secure digital token to your email address which can be used on any online computer to access your files using the Building Approvals online system.

You will be charged an upfront access fee of $6 per lot number.

This fee includes either:

  • a digital file valid for five days or
  • access to a paper file that you can view once in person.

You will have to pay the access fee again if:

  • your digital file expires and you need a new copy or
  • you need to re-look at a paper file.

How to pay

You can pay over the phone or in person.

By phone

Call 08 8999 6435.

Visa and Mastercard only.

In person

Pay the fee at a Building Advisory Services office using either:

  • cash
  • credit card - Visa and Mastercard only.

Hardcopy building files can't be taken out of Building Advisory Services offices.

Customer service staff can copy your documents for the following fees:

  • $2 per A3 or A4 sheet
  • $9 per A0, A1 or A2 sheet.

Alternatively, you can bring a camera to photograph the documents you need.

Get certified copies

You can ask for a certified copy of documents that are given, issued or served by the Minister for Lands and Planning, or by the Director of Building Control.

To get a certified copy of documents, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the request for certified copy form.

Request for certified copy DOCX (59.7 KB)
Request for certified copy PDF (147.6 KB)

Step 2. Submit the form in person at a Building Advisory Services office or by emailing

Building Advisory Services will advise you of the fee for making certified copies and give you instructions on how to pay.

Last updated: 07 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.