Complain about your school

This page has information if you have a complaint about your child's school, how the complaint is managed and contact details for government and non-government schools.

Where to make your complaint

If you have a complaint about your child's school, talk to your child's teacher or principal first. Your issue may be easily resolved.

If you are unable to resolve the issue contact either the Department of Education if it is a government school or the relevant organisation if it is a non-government school.

Complaints about a government school

To make an enquiry or a complaint about a government school contact the school's regional office by phone or email

Regional office Phone
Darwin (08) 8999 5638
Palmerston and rural (08) 8944 9200
Alice Springs (08) 8951 1602
Arnhem (08) 8987 0807
Katherine (08) 8927 5391
Barkly (08) 8962 4586

Complaints about non-government schools

If you have a complaint about a non-government school, the websites have further information:

If you are not satisfied with the action taken by the non-government school provider you can refer the complaint to the Department of Education by either:

Vocational education and training

If you have a complaint about vocational education and training in schools you can contact the Department of Education by either:

  • general vocational education and training: (08) 8901 1357
  • apprentices and traineeships: (08) 8901 1329.

You can also make a complaint to the Australian Skills Quality Authority. Go to the Australian Skills Quality Authority website for more information.

Early childhood

You contact Quality Education and Care NT by either:

Read more about making a complaint about an early childhood service.

How your complaint is managed

For government schools your complaint will be managed as follows:

  1. your complaint will be acknowledged within five working days of receipt
  2. your complaint will be addressed promptly
  3. you will be kept up-to-date with the progress of your complaint.

We will need some personal information to help us address your concerns.

This information will be given to the school unless you tell us not to when you lodge the complaint.

To help resolve your complaint quickly you must do all of the following:

  • be clear about your concerns and the outcome you are seeking
  • raise your concerns in a courteous and respectful manner
  • provide your contact details.

Go to the Department of Education website for more information about making a complaint.

Last updated: 20 March 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.