Construction contracts and resolving disputes

Become an adjudicator

You can apply for registration as an adjudicator in the Northern Territory (NT) to resolve construction contract disputes. You can also apply to have your interstate registration recognised in the NT.

You must have a degree from an Australian university or tertiary institution in architecture, building, building surveying, construction, engineering, law, project management or quantity surveying, or an equivalent degree from outside Australia.

You must successfully complete a training course for adjudicators that has been approved by the Construction Contracts Registrar.

You must be eligible for membership of any of the following professional associations:

  • The Royal Australian Institute of Architects
  • The Institution of Engineers Australia
  • Law Society Northern Territory
  • The Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators of Australia
  • Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
  • Australian Institute of Building
  • Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
  • Australian Institute of Project Management.

You must have five years of experience in either administering construction contracts or resolving disputes related to construction contracts.

You can't apply if the following applies to you:

  • you are bankrupt
  • you have applied for the relief of bankruptcy or insolvency
  • you have entered into a composition arrangement for the repayment of debts owed to creditors, or have made an assignment for the benefit of creditors as an alternative to bankruptcy
  • you have a relevant criminal history
  • you have been disqualified under state or territory law from architecture, building, building surveying, construction, engineering, law, project management or quantity surveying.

To apply to become a background adjudicator follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the adjudicator registration form and profile.

Adjudicator registration form PDF (186.6 KB)
Adjudicator registration form DOCX (67.7 KB)

Adjudicator profile template DOCX (36.5 KB)

Step 2. Provide written authorisation for the Construction Contracts Registrar to seek a criminal history check. Get the criminal history check application PDF (144.5 KB).

Step 3. Pay the registration fee of 115 revenue units. Find out more about revenue units.

Step 4. Submit your application and supporting documents to the Construction Contracts Registrar.

If you are a registered adjudicator in Queensland or Western Australia, you can apply for registration in the NT under mutual recognition laws. Follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application for registration and declaration.

Application for registration as an adjudicator under mutual recognition principles PDF (698.7 KB)
Application for registration as an adjudicator under mutual recognition principles DOCX (684.5 KB)

You must state all the following information:

  • your adjudicator registration in Western Australia or Queensland is current, not cancelled or suspended, and free of prohibitions or special conditions that are a result of criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings in the relevant state or territory
  • you want mutual recognition for your adjudicator registration in the NT
  • you are not the subject of preliminary investigations or disciplinary proceedings in your relevant occupation in the states or territories in which you are registered as an adjudicator
  • any special conditions you have related to your existing registration as an adjudicator
  • your consent to inquiries and the exchange of information with authorities of any state or territory about your activities as an adjudicator.

Step 2. Sign your declaration in front of a witness aged over 18 years.

Step 3. Submit the declaration to the Construction Contracts Registrar.

Step 4. Pay the registration fee of 115 revenue units. Find out more about revenue units.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 September 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!