Construction contracts and resolving disputes


Changes to security of payment laws

On 3 February 2020, laws will change around payments for construction work in the Northern Territory.

Find out more about these changes.

This section has information for people who need a construction contract dispute resolved.

The Northern Territory (NT) Government has a special disputes scheme run by the Construction Contracts Registrar.

Get the question-and-answer guide about resolving construction disputes in the NT.

Resolving construction disputes in the NT DOCX (57.2 KB)
Resolving construction disputes in the NT PDF (291.1 KB)

Contracts covered by the dispute scheme

The dispute scheme covers written and verbal contracts for all of the following types of construction work:

  • the supply of materials and services - eg: professional services including architects, engineers, quantity surveyors, and project management
  • residential construction works
  • building works
  • civil works including roads, railways, canals, pipelines and pavements
  • retaining walls
  • reclaiming land
  • installing and removing equipment
  • preparatory works.

Types of construction disputes

A construction dispute may result from any of the following:

  • a disagreement about a payment claim
  • a payment claim is not paid in full when due
  • retention monies are not paid when due
  • a security deposit is not returned when due.

Other building disputes

For information about other building disputes such as problems with residential building contracts, professional misconduct and illegal building work, read about building complaints and disputes. You can also find out how to complain about and resolve building disputes.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 24 January 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!