Transfer a liquor licence

Changes to the NT Liquor Act

On 1 October 2019, liquor laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).

Find out about changes to the NT liquor laws.

If you hold a liquor licence in the Northern Territory (NT), you can transfer your licence to either:

  • an individual
  • a partnership
  • a company.

Before applying, you need to arrange a police history check for the person or people you are transferring the licence to, including any nominees.

Certificates are issued by SafeNT and can sometimes take weeks to process.

To transfer a liquor licence, you must apply as if you are requesting a new licence.

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application to transfer a liquor licence.

Application to transfer a liquor licence PDF (613.0 KB)
Application to transfer a liquor licence DOCX (701.0 KB)

Step 2. Attach the name and fingerprint certificate to your application.

Step 3. Submit your application with all supporting documents and pay the fee at your nearest Territory Business Centre.

You can also email it and a copy of the receipt fee to

If your application does not have all of the supporting information, it will be returned to you.

If your application is complete, Licensing NT will assess it and tell you if you need to advertise a liquor licence application.

This involves displaying a notice outside your venue. It may also involve publishing a notice in a newspaper.

If you need to advertise your application, you will be notified within 14 days of your application being accepted.

Local authorities like NT Police, Fire and Emergency Services, and the Department of Health will be notified of your application and will be able to give feedback.

If your licensed premises is in a local government area, the local council will also be told and given an opportunity to comment.

Once the advertising period is over, the Liquor Commission will review your application and issue a decision notice.

If it is approved, a certificate of transfer will be issued to the new licence holder.

Last updated: 30 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!