Apply for a liquor licence

You need a liquor licence to sell or supply alcohol in the Northern Territory (NT).

Liquor licence conditions

Standard conditions apply to all licences. These conditions cover all of the following:

  • where alcohol can be sold
  • notices to display
  • making licences available for inspection
  • keeping records
  • fire precautions and health requirements
  • keeping non-alcoholic drinks
  • responsible service of alcohol.

You can apply for a liquor licence as any of the following:

  • individual
  • registered company
  • partnership.

Before you apply you will need to identify a nominee.

The nominee is responsible for the day-to-day management of licensed premises.

Before an individual can become a nominee, they must:

Directors, shareholders, the nominee and partners must get a police history check.

Applying for a takeaway liquor licence

If you wish to apply for a takeaway licence contact Licensing NT to discuss your application.

To apply for a liquor licence follow these steps:

Step 1. To apply online, go to Licensing NT Online or fill in the form.

Grant of liquor licence form (63.8 kb)
Grant of liquor licence form (112.2 kb)

Step 2. Get a police history check.

Step 3. Pay the fee.

Step 4. Submit your form online and pay your fee at your nearest Territory Business Centre.

Last updated: 06 August 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.