Liquor and hospitality
Licences, trading hours, serving alcohol, food business responsibilities, alcohol and smoking laws.
- Buying an existing food business
Information about buying an existing food business, including registering, licences and permits.
- Register, renew or close a food business
How to register or renew a food business.
- Food business registration fees
Fees to register or renew your food business.
- Food safety and regulations
Information about food safety and regulations for businesses in the Northern Territory.
- Private water supplies: food or accommodation businesses
Water safety requirements for businesses that use private water supplies such as bores or rainwater tanks.
- Risk classification in food businesses
How food businesses are classified depending on food safety risks.
- Register or renew an accommodation business
How to register or renew a commercial accommodation business such as a hotel or motel in the Northern Territory.
- Adult entertainment in licensed premises
Information for liquor licensed venues about adult entertainment rules and restrictions.
- Camera surveillance in licensed premises
Guidelines for camera surveillance requirements for licensed premises, including camera surveillance plans and access to recordings.
- Make changes to licensed premises
How to get approval to make material alterations to a licensed premises.
- List of NT licensed premises
Search a database of all licensed premises in the Northern Territory. Search by region, licencee, licence number or category.
- Outlaw motorcycle gangs and your liquor licence
Information for licensed premises about outlaw motorcycle gang laws.
- Prevent and report drink spiking
Information for liquor licence holders about drink spiking on their premises, including staff responsibilities.
- Promote alcohol responsibly
Information for liquor licence holders about alcohol promotion laws, including low alcohol beer promotions, alcohol in non-standard measures and drink cards.
- Public holiday trading
Information about Christmas and New Year trading restrictions, how they affect your licensed premises and how to stay compliant.
- Liquor licence types
Work out which liquor licence authority you need before applying for your licence.
- Apply for a liquor licence
How to apply for a liquor licence in the Northern Territory, when you don't need a licence and types of authorities you can apply for.
- Documents for your liquor licence application
A list of documents you need before you apply for a liquor licence.
- Check if you need a liquor licence
Situations where a liquor licence may not be the right option.
- Convert your liquor licence
How to convert a current liquor licence to an equivalent licence.
- Advertise a liquor licence application
How to advertise a liquor licence application. When you need to advertise, what you need to do and where to advertise.
- Liquor licence fees
Find out how much you have to pay to submit a liquor-related application.
- Transfer a liquor licence
How to transfer a liquor licence to an individual, partnership or company.
- Change or vary liquor licence conditions or authority
How to temporarily change your liquor licence conditions.
- Change a liquor licence nominee
Information for NT licensed premises about how to change a liquor licence nominee, including nominee requirements.
- Register as a wholesaler of liquor
How to register as a wholesaler of liquor in the Northern Territory including how to submit quarterly returns and how to renew your registration.
- Sell retail alcohol from interstate to the NT
Rules for interstate liquor retailers on selling alcohol to the Northern Territory, including how to apply for a licence and licence conditions.
- Register to serve free alcoholic drinks
Information for Northern Territory businesses wanting to serve free alcoholic drinks to customers, including how to register as a complimentary server and rules that apply.
- Declare your associates
Information about declaring associates when applying for a liquor licence including the definition of an associate and who should be disclosed as an associate.
- Apply to be an approved licensee
Rules and advice on how to qualify as a 'fit and proper person' to work in the liquor industry.
- How to make a complaint about a licensee that sells, supplies or serves liquor
When and how to make a complaint about a Northern Territory liquor licensee.
- Appoint an acting liquor licensee
How to appoint an acting liquor licensee on a short term basis if you're unable to run your business.
- Serve alcohol responsibly
Who needs a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) certificate, and how to get one.
- Alcohol photo ID system: Alice Springs and Katherine
Information for businesses about the alcohol photo ID system in Alice Springs and Katherine.
- Fake or false ID
Information for liquor licence holders about how to identify fake or false ID, fake ID laws and what to do when you seize a fake or false ID.
- Intoxicated patrons in licensed premises
Information for liquor licensees and licensed venues about selling and supplying alcohol to intoxicated patrons.
- Children working or employed in licensed premises
Rules for liquor licensees about children working or employed in licensed premises including when children can sell, supply or serve alcohol.
- Sunday takeaway alcohol
Rules for liquor licensees about selling alcohol on Sundays.
- Register to serve BYO alcoholic drinks at a business
Businesses in the NT that want to serve BYO liquor to customers, must register as a BYO server of liquor.
- Club and community club events and alcohol
How to notify your intention to hold a club or community club function in the Northern Territory.
- Liquor tasting
Who can hold a liquor tasting, how liquor licences affect liquor tasting and rules about giveaways and food.
- Water quality at public events
Quality and amount of drinking water needed for audiences at public events or mass gatherings.
- Public health and food safety at events
Public health and food safety requirements for events in the Northern Territory.
- Notify Environmental Health of a public event
Notify Environmental Health online if you are organising an event that has food vans, toilets, showers or other facilities.
- Liquor offences for businesses
Types of offences and penalties for businesses that break the law. Find out about offences, maximum penalties and who is accountable.
- Local Liquor Accords
Local Liquor Accords (LLA) is a voluntary agreement on the management or conduct of local businesses that supply alcohol.
- Smoking laws and businesses
Information for businesses about where smoking is permitted, smoke-free policies and non-smoking signs.
- Responsible promotion of alcohol Code of Practice
Acceptable and unacceptable practices related to promoting alcohol.
- Apply for a review of a liquor delegate's decision
How to apply for a review of a liquor delegate's decision if you disagree with the outcome.
- Licensed premises and children
Rules for allowing children on a licensed premises and responsibilities of NT liquor licensees.
- Death of a liquor licensee
Apply to conduct the business of a liquor licensee after their death.
- Bankruptcy, insolvency and other financial difficulties of a liquor licensee
Who to notify if you experience financial difficulty. How to apply to conduct the business of a bankrupt licensee.