Liquor and hospitality
Changes to the NT Liquor Act
On 1 October 2019, liquor laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).
Find out about changes to the NT liquor laws.
Licences, trading hours, serving alcohol, food business responsibilities, alcohol and smoking laws.
- Buying an existing food business
Information about buying an existing food business, including registering, licences and permits.
- Register or renew a food business
How to register or renew a food business.
- Food business registration fees
Fees to register or renew your food business.
- Food safety and regulations
Information about food safety and regulations for businesses in the Northern Territory.
- Private water supplies: food or accommodation businesses
Water safety requirements for businesses that use private water supplies such as bores or rainwater tanks.
- Risk classification in food businesses
How food businesses are classified depending on food safety risks.
- Register or renew an accommodation business
How to register or renew a commercial accommodation business such as a hotel or motel in the Northern Territory.
- Adult entertainment in licensed premises
Information for liquor licensed venues about adult entertainment rules and restrictions.
- Camera surveillance in licensed premises
Guidelines for camera surveillance requirements for licensed premises, including camera surveillance plans and access to recordings.
- Make changes to licensed premises
How to get approval to make material alterations to a licensed premises.
- List of NT licensed premises
Search a database of all licensed premises in the Northern Territory. Search by region, licencee, licence number or category.
- Outlaw motorcycle gangs and your liquor licence
Information for licensed premises about outlaw motorcycle gang laws.
- Prevent and report drink spiking
Information for liquor licence holders about drink spiking on their premises, including staff responsibilities.
- Promote alcohol responsibly
Information for liquor licence holders about alcohol promotion laws, including low alcohol beer promotions, alcohol in non-standard measures and drink cards.
- Christmas and New Year trading
Christmas and New Year trading restrictions affect licensed premises in the Northern Territory. Find out how to stay compliant.
- Apply to be restricted licensed premises
How to apply to restrict all or part of a commercial or private property.
- Apply for an Alcohol Secure grant
Apply for funding to improve the security of alcohol at your licensed premises.
- Apply for a liquor licence
What you need to do to apply for a liquor licence in the Northern Territory, when you don't need a licence, types of authorities you can apply for.
- Convert your liquor licence
How to convert a current liquor licence to an equivalent licence.
- Advertise a liquor licence application
How to advertise your liquor licence application. Find out when you need to advertise, what you need to do and where to advertise.
- Liquor licence fees
You have to pay a fee when you submit a liquor-related application, registration or renewal. Find out how much you have to pay.
- Transfer a liquor licence
Instructions for how to transfer a liquor licence.
- Apply to change or vary liquor licence conditions or authority
How to temporarily change your liquor licence conditions.
- Change a liquor licence nominee
Information for licensed premises about how to change a liquor licence nominee, including nominee requirements.
- Register as a wholesaler of liquor
How to register as a wholesaler of liquor in the Northern Territory including how to submit quarterly liquor reports.
- Sell or deliver alcohol from outside the NT
Rules for interstate liquor retailers on selling or delivering alcohol to the Northern Territory, including how to apply for a licence and licence conditions.
- Register to serve free alcoholic drinks
Information for Northern Territory businesses wanting to serve free drinks to customers, including how to register as a complimentary server and rules that apply.
- Declare your associates
Information for liquor licence applicants on what an associate is and when you need to declare one.
- Apply to be an approved licensee
Rules and advice on how to qualify as a 'fit and proper person' to work in the liquor industry.
- Licence to sell alcohol at functions
Information for residents about how to apply for a special liquor licence to sell alcohol at functions. Apply for a one-off licence or a continuing licence.
- How to make a complaint about a licensee that sells, supplies or serves liquor
- Serve alcohol responsibly
Who needs a responsible service of alcohol (RSA) certificate, and how to get one.
- Alcohol photo ID system: Alice Springs and Katherine
Information for businesses about the alcohol photo ID system in Alice Springs and Katherine.
- Fake or false ID
Information for liquor licence holders about how to identify fake or false ID, fake ID laws and what to do when you seize a fake or false ID.
- Intoxicated patrons in licensed premises
Information for liquor licence holders and licensed venues about selling and supplying alcohol to drunk persons.
- Children working or employed in licensed premises
Liquor licence holders can apply to employ children aged over 14 years and nine months in exceptional cases.
- Sunday takeaway alcohol
There are restrictions that affect when Northern Territory businesses can sell takeaway alcohol, including on Sundays.
- Golf club events and alcohol
Find out about how golf clubs can apply to vary their liquor licence conditions for a special event.
- Liquor tasting
Who can hold a liquor tasting, how liquor licences affect liquor tasting and rules about giveaways and food.
- Water quality at public events
Quality and amount of drinking water needed for audiences at public events or mass gatherings.
- Liquor offences for businesses
If you break liquor laws you will have to pay a fine or go to jail. Find out about offences, maximum penalties and who is accountable.
- Local Liquor Accords
Local Liquor Accords (LLA) is a voluntary agreement on the management or conduct of local businesses that supply alcohol.
- Smoking laws and businesses
Information for businesses about where smoking is permitted, smoke-free policies and non-smoking signs.
- Responsible promotion of alcohol Code of Practice
Acceptable and unacceptable practices related to promoting alcohol.