Register or renew an accommodation business

All commercial visitor accommodation businesses in the Northern Territory (NT) must be registered.

Businesses must renew their registration every five years. You must renew it before your current registration expires.

If your registration has expired, you must re-register and resubmit all of your supporting information.

If your business uses private water supplies you must provide documentation that shows the water is safe.

Register or renew now

On the Australian Government Business website


A visitor accommodation business is one that provides accommodation for seven or more visitors for payment or reward but are not:

Examples include all of the following:

  • hotels
  • motels
  • serviced apartments
  • road houses
  • wayside inns
  • lodges
  • hostels
  • backpacker accommodation
  • cabins.

What is not commercial visitor accommodation

The following are not commercial visitor accommodation:

  • small bed and breakfasts
  • staff accommodation
  • student accommodation.

You can also register or renew an accommodation business by following the below steps.

Step 1. Fill in the form that applies to you.

Get the register a commercial visitor accommodation business form from the Department of Health digital library.

Get the renew registration of a commercial visitor accommodation business form from the Department of Health digital library.

Step 2. Pay the fee.

Step 3. Submit your application by email, mail or in person to your nearest RTM office.

The fee to register or renew an accommodation business is 250 revenue units.

You must pay the fee to the Receiver of Territory Monies (RTM).

By phone

You can pay by MasterCard, Bankcard or Visa credit card.

You will need to provide all of the following:

  • fee category - for eg: public health
  • fee in dollar value
  • your name
  • name of premises
  • your email address.

You will then be emailed the receipt and tax invoice.

Once the card payment has been made you should mail or submit the completed application in person, including a copy of the receipt or tax invoice to your nearest Environmental Health Office.

By mail

You should submit your application to the nearest RTM and include a cheque or money oirder made out to the RTM.

Your application will be forwarded with the receipt/tax invoice to the nearest Environment Health Office.

In person

You can take your application and pay at your nearest RTM by:

  • cash
  • cheque made out to the RTM
  • credit card.

The RTM will forward your application and receipt/tax invoice to the nearest Environmental Health Office.

Last updated: 26 September 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.