Book a vehicle inspection
You can no longer get an inspection for your light vehicle or trailer or motorcycle at the test shed in Darwin without booking online.
If you don't have access to the internet, you can use the iPad booth at the MVR in Darwin to make your booking.
On the test shed site
You can book a light vehicle inspection at the inspection facility in Darwin. The inspection hours for the test shed are:
- Monday to Friday 8am to 3:30pm excluding public holidays
- Saturday 8:45am to 11:30am excluding long weekends.
You can book an inspection up to five weeks in advance.
This includes inspections for:
- all light vehicles
- light commercial passenger vehicles such as taxis or minibus
- small trailers (one axle only).
If you require an inspection for both a light vehicle and a trailer, you must make separate consecutive bookings for each vehicle for the same lane. They cannot be inspected at the same time.
You cannot make a booking for an inspection for the following vehicle types:
- heavy vehicles (GVM or ATM greater than 4.5 tonnes)
- trailers with more than one axle.
You must take your vehicle to the heavy vehicle lane of the Darwin test shed which is only open Monday to Friday.
You can't book an inspection for a written-off vehicle online. Read more about written-off vehicles.
Queries and other business for written-off vehicles are dealt with from Monday to Friday only.
For more information get a copy of V54 NT vehicle written off vehicle register
How to book online
When you open the booking website above, you will need to follow these steps:
Step 1. Click on 'Book an inspection' above to create an account the first time you make a booking. This will also give you a login name and password. If you already have an account, you can enter your login name and password in the login screen.
Step 2. Select the type of inspection you want including:
- interstate transfer/ factory new vehicle inspection
- NT Rego renewal inspection
- taxi/minibus/TV and CPV - first CPV inspection
- single axle light trailer inspection
- defect inspection for light vehicles including CPV
- call in inspection
- recheck inspection
- imported vehicle inspection (Monday to Friday only)
- modified vehicle inspection (Monday to Friday only).
Step 3. Select the date and time for your inspection.
Step 4. Enter your registration number (number plate) and 'NT' or other state.
Step 5. You will receive an email confirming the date and time of your inspection.
About the inspection
A transport inspector will inspect your vehicle and process the inspection report on your behalf.
You can then pay your inspection fee and registration fee at the office.
If your vehicle fails the inspection, you will have to re-book another inspection online.
Last updated: 18 October 2019